Understanding what to expect from your treatment and how your skin may react throughout the removal process will help you better understand the aftercare process. Take a look at the timeline below:
Day 1 to Weeks After Tattoo Removal
- Immediately following the procedure, the treated region will usually appear icy white. This is due to carbon dioxide production as the laser penetrates the skin, which is completely normal.
- 8-72 hours after, the treated region peels or blisters. Scabs and crust may also form during this period.
- 1-2 weeks after the process, the healing time will vary according to the size of the tattoo and the treatment area. At this stage, any blisters, scabs, or other skin reactions should dissipate completely.
- 4-6 weeks, the treated area should be completely healed, and your skin should be ready for the next session (if necessary).
Tips for A Quick Healing Process
- Prepare your immune system. A healthy immune system is essential for clients or patients who undertake any type of surgical or non-surgical procedure. This includes laser tattoo removal. Consuming nutritious foods, not drinking too much alcohol and exercising regularly can truly aid in your body’s healing process.
- Apply thorough cleaning. Cleaning the treatment area properly goes a long way toward preventing infection, which is a major obstruction to healing. Thus, it is advisable to clean the area every day with lukewarm water and pat it dry. Furthermore, avoid touching the affected area as this might aggravate the sensitive skin. To further protect against potential infection, apply an antibiotic ointment to the region, particularly any opened blisters. Cover it with a clean bandage for the first three days after a treatment session.
- Invest in topicals. Once you’ve passed the three-day mark, you may implement some topicals to help you heal faster post laser tattoo removal. For itching sensations, you can use vitamin E oil or hydrocortisone cream. Keep in mind that if you give in to the need to scratch, you might prolong the actual skin irritation and increase your chances of scarring.
With that said, scarring from laser tattoo removal can be reduced using soothing topicals. Another important aftercare tip we advise our patients who visit our Miami based clinic on the Gold Coast is to apply sunscreen to the affected area for up to three months following your last treatment.
- Use a cold compress. Swelling and redness are typical side effects of laser tattoo removal. When you have inflammation, it is awfully tempting to touch or pick at the affected region but please refrain from this! Try using a cold compress to help decrease inflammation, which is especially beneficial the first day after a treatment session. After using the cold compress, don’t forget to clean and dry the area properly.
Aside from following the tips above, it is also essential to avoid the following to ensure fast recovery from laser tattoo removal:
- Swimming or taking a long time on the water
- Shaving the affected area
- Exposure to the sun
- Using tanning products
- Picking the scabs
- Drinking antibiotics
- Rushing the interval of appointments
Other than sourcing an experienced technician from a high quality clinic such as Renude on the Gold Coast, following an advised laser tattoo removal aftercare strategy is essential if you want to remove your unwanted tattoo successfully, safely and in a timely manner.
Schedule A Tattoo Laser Removal Gold Coast Treatment Today
At Renude Gold Coast, we use the PicoWave laser to ensure a high-quality laser tattoo removal treatment. Whether you’re at the northern end of the Gold Coast or are based at the southern end in Coolangatta, we have you covered (literally). If you are thinking about tattoo laser removal, contact ReNude Gold Coast to discuss your options an what the journey will entail. We are your trusted tattoo removal clinic and here for you every step of the way. For bookings, call 04 3217 2863